- 10-Jan-2014 to 31-Dec-2015 (EST)
- Yorkville, IL, USA
- Part Time
The Assistant Teacher is responsible for supporting the Preschool Teacher in the daily program for children within an assigned age group, promoting the social, emotional, physical and intellectual growth of the children under his/her care. They follow the daily program for children within an assigned age group. Prepare materials and gather supplies necessary to implement the curriculum.
1. Assist in planning the daily program for children within assigned age group, which will encourage each child's growth in the areas of social, emotional, physical and intellectual development.
2. Assist in the establishment and maintenance of a safe and healthy environment.
3. Prevent injuries and handle emergencies, accidents, and injuries appropriately when they occur.
4. Provide support in a manner consistent with the philosophy and goals of the company.
5. Treat children with dignity and respect by recognizing and considering the background, special needs, and interests, style and pace of learning of each child.
6. Help children learn to think creatively, to solve problems independently, and to respect themselves and others.
7. Help to maintain room arrangement appropriate for age group
8. Provide daily written feedback to the parents as directed by Teacher. .
9. Maintain strict confidentiality regarding children, parents, staff and any school business.
10. Assist with preparing meals and snacks, feeding children, modeling table manners
11. Change diapers when needed or required by state licensing.
12. Practice basic health screening of children on a daily basis i.e. injuries, marks, fevers etc.
13. Assist in keeping educational materials, equipment and the general room environment neat, safe and clean.
14. Assist in maintaining playground and indoor play area.
15. Perform all duties in compliance with State and Local licensing requirements, policies and procedures.
16. Promote and maintain an appropriate and professional rapport and working relationships with other staff members.
17. Participate in all staff training sessions, meetings and programs as requested by the School Director and as sponsored by the School.
18. Maintain professional conduct when working with families and staff, as well as visitors and the general public.
19. Ensure that all class activities operate consistently and ethically within the values and mission of Children of America
20. Passionate about Children of America's mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy mission and values of Children of America to children, parents and coworkers.
Other duties as assigned by the Teacher, Director and Assistant Director
Works under the direct supervision of the Teacher, Director and Assistant Director
This position does not supervise other staff
Meets state age, experience and educational requirements.
Must have at least a high school (GED).
Maintains state in-service training requirements.
Has 2 years previous work experience working in a childcare school.
Has obtained a Child Development Associate credential (CDA) and meets the licensing requirements of the state in which they work
Physical Work Demands
Frequently moves or lifts average weight as in lifting, carrying, and holding children and infants. It is essential that each teacher meet the full lifting requirements which may be up to 60 lbs.
Physically reacts appropriately and immediately to unexpected circumstances which can include lifting and pushing up to 60 lbs
Able to stoop and bend on child's level frequently
Able to interact and communicate with children on the playground/classroom, i.e. run, jump, dance, demonstrate physical exercises.
Required to stand at least 90% of the workday
Able to use proper lifting procedures and seeks appropriate assistance with heavy lifting when possible.
Mental Work Demands:
Mentally reacts appropriately and immediately to unexpected circumstances
Regular and on-time attendance
Hours may exceed 40 hours per week
Note: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualification association with this job.